I’ll admit, I made these tasty buttery balls out of impatience—I wanted cookies or something, and I missed the peanut butter balls I learned to make from my Grandma’s secret recipe. But being more health conscious and not wanting to GMO-fill my in-pipes and consume legumes (which I don’t process well), I opted to make an alternative version in attempt to satisfy that longing I’ve had for some delicious nut butter balls! Only thing is, I didn’t coat them in chocolate—I coated them in flax seeds. I really would have rather rolled them in chocolate lol, but my body saying, “healthy junk food!… HEALTHY balls—no more sugar than necessary.”
Now.. I did enjoy these balls, BUT… my sunflowers tasted stale/rancid haha.. So the recipe felt a little flawed because I would have had to compensate for the stale taste with probably 1½ times the sugar. I am thankful for a quick, high-fiber candy-grab I can pop in my mouth when in need of some fat and carbs to keep me moving along.
I really hope you enjoy these! Consider adding Thieves® essential oil if you like spices! Thieves contains cinnamon and clove which always makes for a unique, but satisfyingly captivating, taste that no other spice mix, blend, or cupboard concoction I’ve ever found does. Thieves is delicious, and promotes wellness! 😊
- 14-16oz of sunflower butter (or roasted sunflowers blended w/ 1 tbsp sunflower oil)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance soy free buttery spread
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- ½-¾ cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- pinch of salt (if seeds are not salted)
- (optional) 1 tsp vanilla extract/flavoring
- (optional) 4 drops Thieves® essential oil blend
- First you’ll blend the sunflower seeds in a blender if you don’t already have it in “butter” form.
- Then you’ll melt the Earth Balance soy free buttery spread in a pan (unless it’s at room temp).
- Blend in the butter to the sunflower butter [mix]
- Add chia seeds and coconut sugar [mix]
- In a large mixing bowl add rolled oats (and optional vanilla or Thieves oil).
- Pour flax seeds into small bowl.
- Make 1½-inch balls and roll in flax seeds.
- Place on wax or parchment paper, or right into your storage container!